Hi! I’m Mary Purdy – Integrative and Eco-Dietitian.
An excerpt from my kindergarten teacher’s evaluation: “Food means a lot to Mary. If she doesn’t like her lunch it ruins her entire day.” It was true then, and it’s true now.
I love food! I love the field of nutrition. I love helping people discover the power of food to make their lives better while making choices that are also environmentally friendly. Food and lifestyle choices can give you more energy, help you feel better, prevent illness, and maybe even reverse certain disease states. They can also have a huge effect on the health of our food system and our environment, both of which are greatly in need of extra support.
My goal is to help individuals, communities, organizations and food companies connect the dots between human and planetary health, one meal at a time.
While I don’t generally see private clients, I am here to be a consultant for your organization or company as it relates to the intersection of sustainably grown food, health, and climate change. I also offer presentations & webinars & courses, write articles, and have a nutrition podcast and youtube web series. Tune in regularly, join the conversation, boost your knowledge, your health and support your eco-system.
Here’s the skinny on my creds…
I’m a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with a Masters in Clinical Nutrition (MS) from Bastyr University. I have 12+ years of professional nutrition experience: counseling 1-on-1, presenting at numerous national conferences, designing courses, speaking to groups, writing articles, and training other professionals. All this in clinics, at corporations, in colleges & universities, in a nutrition textbook, via online webinars, in magazines, on the radio, and on TV. I am also a foodie activist and have been a leader in the nutrition field, championing the role of the dietitian as well as connecting and networking with numerous individuals and organizations all in name of making this world healthier and more sustainable.
Currently, I am:
- Adjunct Faculty at Bastyr University, teaching in both the Nutrition and Naturopathic departments as well as the Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine department. (Since 2015)
- On staff Dietitian for the Kris Carr Inner Circle Wellness Online community.
- Consultant and Active Committee Member with numerous organizations such as:
- Planetary Health Collective
- Global Meatless Mondays Platform
- Food and Climate Alliance
- Food Justice Project with the Community Alliance for Global Justice
- Health and Climate Crisis Committee at Bastyr University
- Past Chair of and current Board Member of Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine & Board Member of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition (practice groups of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with 5000+ members)
- Host of “The Nutrition Show” Podcast and Web series (formerly “Mary’s Nutrition Show”
- Faculty/Instructor at Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy, Dietitian Central and Catalyst
- Contributing author of Krause’s Food & The Nutrition Care Process
- Author of the Forthcoming Book “The Microbiome Reset Diet”
- Clinical Education Lead & Coach at the Scientific Wellness company, Arivale in Seattle (2015-2019)
- Private practice in Seattle, WA (Nourishing Balance), 8 years (2007-2015)
- Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr Center for Natural Health, (2010-2015)
- RDN at Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA, 2 years (2008-2010)
- Past Board Member and President of the Greater Seattle Dietetic Association. (2006-2011)
- Please see my Linked In Profile for more detailed information
What People Are Saying
Great show! I love the playful way you share this information!
Mary on TV and Radio
- Kiro News Mary Purdy discusses the benefits of Organic Foods
- “Do Sugary Drinks Increase Risk of Death” on Q13 Fox
- 5 Recipes To Get Your Necessary Nourishment After High Endurance Training Mary offers some helpful suggestions for athletes looking to improve post-workout recovery
Click here to see more:
- 6 Cooking Tips and Food Remedies for Nausea Mary Purdy explores the do’s and dont’s of eating to combat nausea
- Diet and Detoxification Mary Purdy discusses the importance of detoxification in today’s toxin-heavy environment
- Advice for Avoiding Midnight Snacking for Expert Beacon
- Your Simple Diet Detox Featured in an article on detoxing in Prevention Magazine in January
- 2 articles on “Curbing sugar cravings” & “Getting Some Spice into your Life” for Seattle PI
- 2 articles on Cancer and Green Tea and Cancer & Capsaicin for the ADA’s Oncology Dietetic Practice Group Newsletter
- Monthly health/nutrition articles for Seattle Newspaper: Northwest Primetime ’06-’07
- Original Recipes published in Celebrate Green
Work With Mary
Let's connect and discuss how I can educate and inspire your audience or team to take steps to improve their personal health as well as the health of their community and the planet.